Thursday, November 8, 2007

Dressing the Part

Over the course of my life, I have developed a sense of what kind of outfit is appropriate to specific situations and varying levels of formality; however, my personal sense of propriety does not necessarily match that of others. This distinction most often surfaces and comes to matter at work.

I am a graduate teaching assistant at a fairly large state university. I teach English courses (mostly freshmen and sophomore, although this semester I've taken on a senior level course as well), go to faculty meetings, meet with students, and do a lot of my own work as a grad student here on campus, among the undergraduates I teach. I am the teacher of record for the classes I teach. I design and plan the classes, teach them myself, do all the grading and deal with the students myself. There is no senior professor who is officially or actually in charge. It's all me.

Teacher Mode:  Sept 17, 2007
As such, I want to be professional and I generally tend to dress up more than I might if I were only a student at the university. (That doesn't bother me at all, of course, because I like to dress up.) This tendency toward dressing up is encouraged further by the fact that I am only a few years older than the students I am teaching. At the beginning of the semester, I dress more conservatively, more formally, and more like I think students think a teacher should dress. I do this to make the distinction between myself and the students in the class as clear as possible and establish the power dynamic of the course from the start. I can and do relax this distinction as the course develops, but without a clear foundation it is far too easy, I have found, for the students to get too comfortable, which means getting lazy and sometimes presumptive. In short, they think they can walk all over me if I give the impression of being too friendly too soon.

Guarding the gateway to...something.
All that being said, though, I want to dress like myself and I want to be myself when I'm teaching. As a teacher I am playing a role, enhancing certain elements of myself, but I want to be as true to myself and as honest with my students as I can be. So I do relax after a couple of weeks and start to experiment with outfits.

Cheetahs and stripes
It is here that I break with my peers. I know many who go through a similar process of laying down the law at first and then relaxing as the semester progresses (and they often reflect this process in their clothing, too), but there are just as many who retain the same level of formality or business-like attire throughout the entire semester. One fellow graduate teaching assistant (male) would not teach without wearing dress pants, a buttondown shirt, and a tie. Some students have similar ideas about how teachers should appear. In fact, on a recent student evaluation I had a female student write that I should dress more professionally because my outfits were often distracting.

I feel like an '80s TV character.
Despite these differences within my department and my field, I truly have a lot of freedom. During the training course when I began this job, which was several years ago now, the director of the First-Year Writing Program, the program I was entering into, told us that how we dressed was mostly a personal decision, one we could determine as part of developing our teaching personae. Her only recommendation was that we not expose ourselves to the students. And although students do have certain expectations of instructors based on their prior experience, they seem much more willing to accept experimentation from instructors in the liberal arts like myself. Just as there is a stereotype of the buttoned-down professor with tweed and elbow patches or the plain teacher in glasses, there is a counterstereotype of English teachers, as well as art teachers and music teachers, as hippies and artists and free spirits.

But others have less freedom: instructors in other departments, people who work in other fields altogether, people who must wear uniforms.

I know how I deal with this issue. I use my own best judgment for what will be appropriate (while teaching, this frequently means something that won't distract too much from the topic at hand) and sashay through my life with the confidence that I look good and no one can stop me from doing so. But how do others deal with this isssue in their lives? How concerned are you with appropriateness in dressing yourself on a regular basis? How do you work your personal style into the workplace? Does it cause problems? Or does it bring positive attention?

5 comments:

nitovuori said...

There doesn't seem to be a dress code in our field, at all - as I once wrote in w_r, I have seen keynote speakers appear in shirts partly unbuttoned to show off hairy chests. Earlier when I worked for NGOs it was the same. And don't even get me started on how artist dress. Sheesh. The good thing is that I can totally whatever I wish on most days - as you may have noticed. However, I do want to keep it more subdued when I have paper presentations etc. I find that in those situations I feel comfier if I play it more safe. But I still want it to be quirky so I do pick my outfits for those occasions quite carefully. Unlike some others, ahem :P

Christy said...

Wow. Seriously? Keynote speakers showing off their chest hair?! I've not seen that at conferences yet. At the conferences I've been to in my field, people generally dress more conservatively than usual and tend toward business casual--at least while presenting. And those that don't do business casual tend toward a flowy, bohemian artist look (well, the women do anyway).

I certainly try to dress more conservatively when I present to established people in my field, too. In those cases, I definitely want them to see me as their peer and to pay attention to my ideas. I fear that dressing more experimentally will distract from those things.

madam0wl, a.k.a Sandra said...

Hello, popping in from the link on your flickr profile!

I could relate to a lot in this post, being a "teacher on record" TA and enjoying dressing up a bit to separate myself from the undergrad students. Sadly, even though my field is Textiles & Clothing, most of the students don't dress any more daring/inspiring than probably a typical English student might (?). So it isn't too hard to stand out! I do allow myself to go casual a couple times once the semester is in full grind, but even then I try for a more unique casual as opposed to UGGs & sweats. Among all the T&C TAs I'd say I am more creative in my clothing selection or "dress up" more than the rest also, which I think makes me look more professional in the eyes of the faculty too. Since my goal is to stay on as a lecturer, I've pretty much tried to dress the part, at least for the past year or so.

Now back to lesson planning & grading... bleh.

Lauren Hairston said...

I too am a TA (but in History) and I definitely feel the need to dress snazzy, especially since my class is upper-division and I'm younger than many of the students! The prof I work for is old school but in a good way (and he abhors jeans in the workplace), so I always dress up. This was my first semester, but I've really enjoyed it. Like madam0wl, I've got to return to grading (and paper-writing).

thuy said...

i found your blog from one of your pictures on flickr. i dig your rainbow sweater. i like how the purple shoes complete the color scheme.

i have one that's very similar to yours:

http://flickr.com/photos/schmeebot/2434483750/

where did you find yours?