Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Playing Dress-Up

Halloween is coming, and I still don't know what I'm going to wear. I'm really bad at coming up with costume ideas. I never feel up to putting a lot of extra effort into making a costume and I don't like the more common/obvious costumes, but I want my costume to be recognizable. Quite a pickle I've created for myself, no?

Last year I dressed up as Marla Singer from Fight Club. I tinted my hair a couple of shades darker with some very temporary dye, styled it crazier than usual, put on lots of dark eye makeup, wore a black dress (though I can't remember which black dress I chose--it might've been an old black lace party dress) with a black sweater and black ankle boots. It was pretty good, but not identifiable enough. A cigarette might've done it, but I don't smoke. Also, I needed to add a name tag, I think. Sadly, I don't have a picture of myself in this costume.

Marla Singer costume design
I could do Marla Singer again and improve upon it. I could live with that. I might even enjoy doing that again. But I'd also love to try something new.

I have a couple of ideas already. The first is Mary Quant. I have a black wig that could approximate (but not really match) her somewhat geometric jet black hairstyle. I could wear lots of eye makeup, my short short black thrifted a-line dress, one of my pairs of boots (with or without heels, I'm not sure yet), and perhaps a pair of tights. On the other hand, wig and eye makeup aside, I would wear this on a normal day, so it doesn't feel enough like I would be costumed.

Mary Quant
I don't have the long hair for it, but Annie Hall would be fun. I have the pants and the tie. I have an almost-appropriate vest and can easily acquire the men's shirt (and likely a new vest). I do have a dark-brown wig, but it's not long like Diane Keaton's in the movie. Maybe it'd be close enough? This would feel more like dressing up for me. The slouchy menswear style is not a direction I normally take in my everyday dress.

Annie Hall
So those are my ideas. If anyone out there has any other suggestions or feedback about my ideas, I'd love to hear it. What are you wearing? Do you have any ideas for fairly easy costumes for someone like me (someone like me here referring to someone who is lazy or, if you're feeling generous, merely very busy)?

Also, the Blogging Society Challenge has truly begun, so I will be working on playing dress-up with a men's shirt in the next couple of weeks. I have a couple of vague ideas, but haven't begun actual work yet. Look for results soon!

1 comment:

The Happy Hippie said...

I really like the Marla Singer idea, only I would suggest trying to find a pink dress similar to hers. I always thought it would be fun to dress up as Marla for Hallween. :] Do lots of backcombing on your hair too, and you could always carry a cigarette around and just not light it. And don't forget the huge-normous sunglasses.