Thursday, October 18, 2007

Escape of the Elephant (Sweater)

"Contrary to what most people say, the most dangerous animal in the world is not the lion or the tiger or even the elephant. It's a shark riding on an elephant's back, just trampling & eating everything they see." --Jack Handey
Actually, Mr. Jack Handey is wrong, too. The most dangerous animal in the world is a knitted Republican elephant--with a banner and an agenda.


I found this sweater on ebay a couple of nights ago and immediately knew I had to have it.

Now, I am not Republican. Nowhere near it. But that's exactly why I wanted this sweater. I envisioned wearing it with something that screams liberal progressive anti-Republican and confusing the hell out of people. Layer it over an anti-Bush T-shirt or a pro-liberal candidate T-shirt, wear it with my feminist skirt, make my own liberal propaganda T-shirt--really, the possibilities seemed endless.

I also imagined dressing up as a middle-class conservative Republican lady for Halloween. The sweater just cries out for a sensible business skirt and blouse, sensibly heeled shoes, and a pearl necklace. And big hair. Definitely big hair.

Besides all that, it has little elephants! How cool is that?


Sadly, however, its price shot up and I couldn't afford it. Bummer. I think that may have been a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

3 comments:

The Happy Hippie said...

Neat! Besides the fact that that is one rad sweater, I dig your idea of combining it with other items to make a statement. While I'm a republican, I'm a pretty liberal one, so I could see myself doing something similar.

Isabel said...

Oh God that is such a funny sweater and a great idea. I have been known to wear a star-of-david necklace with rosary beads myself...

Christy said...

Thanks guys!

isabel, I like the idea of the star-of-david necklace and rosary beads. I'm not sure why confusing people amuses me, but it does. I guess that's worth some thought.